- RT @ICBUW: Former A10 commander @RepMcSally of #Tucson urged to support full transparency over US #depleteduranium use in #Iraq https://t.c… 1 week ago
- RT @ICBUW: The US's use of #depleteduranium in #Syria has again drawn attention to the lack of clearance obligations on users: https://t.co… 3 months ago
- RT @ICBUW: Why did the US use DU in Syria, will they use it again, and will it be cleared up? Our new piece takes a look: https://t.co/plfL… 3 months ago
- RT @ICBUW: Thanks to @CarolineLucas we know that @UKagainstDaesh is largely uninterested in how its allies conduct hostilities. https://t.c… 3 months ago
- RT @ICBUW: The US justifies depleted uranium use on grounds that it's vital against hard targets; use against fuel tankers is totally at od… 3 months ago
- RT @ICBUW: Thanks @samueloakford & @airwars for chasing final confirmation of US DU use in #Syria airwars.org/news/depletedu…; targets ID'd as… 3 months ago
Campaigning for a ban on Depleted Uranium weapons
News release: MPs call on US to come clean over depleted uranium weapons as Basra opens Iraq’s first children’s cancer hospital
October 26, 2010Posted by on
Members of Parliament have tabled a motion that calls for states to release coordinates of where depleted uranium (DU) weapons have been fired – in the same week as Basra opens Iraq’s first children’s cancer hospital.
Early Day Motion 825, sponsored by MPs from all three main parties, urges the Government to support a UN resolution that invites states which have used DU in conflicts to release data on where the weapons have been used, in order to help facilitate monitoring, decontamination and hazard awareness programmes. Unlike the UK, the US has so far failed to provide information on the whereabouts of the more than 400,000kg of DU munitions it fired in 1991 and 2003 to the UN or Iraqi authorities.
Dozens of MPs have signed the EDM, just days after Basra officially opened Iraq’s first specialist children’s cancer hospital last week. Basra has seen a rapid rise in childhood cancers since DU was fired in the city in both the 1991 and 2003 conflicts. Record numbers of children have been diagnosed with childhood leukaemia, which has prompted the building of the hospital.
Speaking to an AFP reporter at the opening ceremony, Dr. Janan Hasan of Basra Children’s Hospital said: “Leukaemia among children under 15 has increased by about four times, most are high-risk cases, which means that they do not have a high survival rate”.
- The full AFP report of Basra’s Children Hospital opening: http://www.tiny.cc/g8f7g
- EDM 825, and a list of its signatories: http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?session=2010-11&edmnumber=825
- Background information of EDM 825: http://tiny.cc/2xrceztx4k
- Text of the UN resolution: http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/docs/139.pdf
- ICBUW recently released a report on the legacy of uranium weapon use in the Balkans: http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/en/docs/134.pdf